Thursday 31 December 2009

Children, again...

READ: "Religous Education is not Brainwashing" Article here

The above linked article attempts to defend the BHA message "Please don't label me. Let me grow up and choose for myself" and in doing so proposes that children require a religous family in order to be brought up with any understanding of morals.

This is utterly ridiculous. I have never had to resort to "God says it's bad" or "You'll go to hell" to instill the concept of right and wrong, or good and bad in my child. And guess what, I very often recieve comments from other adults, parents and otherwise, praising my daughter for her good behaviour. It was simply "No! That's bad!" until she was old enough to understand reasoning as to why it was bad. At this point, I would simply explain, at first, that for example, "Would you like it if somebody were to do that to you?" and a little later, "It is good to be nice to people because then you can make friends and having friends and people being pleasant to each other makes this life a nice pleasant and enjoyable one. People who are nasty usually get left out and are sad and lonely".

As my daughter gets older, I hope to pass on a more complex concept of the impact we have upon society and others, and my own personal belief that we can all contribute to make the world a better place where we all show love and peace to one another.
However, if she chooses to believe something other than that, I will be proud that she is capable of making her own decisions. I do not want my daughter to blindly follow my opinions, I hope that she will be more intelligent than that!

To completely debunk the article in question, I finish with this;

Glad to see that the religious fanatics still practice selective reading (the bible is the prime example of this!!) given that the writer has blatantly ignored the "Let me grow up" part of the message.

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment